It is important to be aware of all beagle health problems that could occur. As soon as you think something is wrong it’s important to take your beagle to the vet. Read on to find out more about beagle health problems!
Beagles are lucky in the fact that they are normally very healthy and happy dogs. But there are still a few beagle health problems you need to know about.
The following is a list of beagle health problems to watch out for:
- Obesity: This is a major beagle health problem to be aware of. Beagles like to eat lots but they don’t like doing a lot of exercise. They run for a little every day but are much happier just relaxing in the garden. Beagles will eat just about everything in sight if you let them! To stop your beagle getting obese you need to control your beagle’s diet closely and not let their eating get out of control. Walk your beagle daily to help combat this health problem.
- Eye Problems: Eye problems are another beagle health problem to be aware of. It is common for beagles to get a condition called distichiasis. This is where the eyelashes grow into the beagles eyes causing irritation and, if left untreated, infection. If you do notice this occurring it is important to take your beagle to the vet straight away to discuss your options. The earlier you find a solution to the problem, the happier your beagle will be.
- Floppy Ears: Beagles have those adorable cute floppy ears but they also come with a few health worries. Due to being large and floppy, air flow does not get to the ears very easily. It also causes moisture not to be able to escape and if not carefully monitored can cause infection. The important thing to is to look under your beagles ears every so often to check for infection, dirt and excess moisture.
- The Harmless ‘Reverse Sneeze’: You may notice your beagle gasping for air. This is called ‘reverse sneezing’ and causes no harm to your beagle. The reason why they do this is not known, but it’s important to be aware of it so you don’t get alarmed if it does happen.
- Arthritis: Your beagle may get arthritis or joint problems later in life. When looking after your beagle ensure they are getting the right food to keep them healthy and strong. This will help combat the onset of arthritis. Also, get a vet check your beagle’s joints once a year to be on the safe side.
To have a happy and healthy beagle you need to be aware all possible beagle health problems. If you do this you will be able to get treatment for your beagle as soon as you notice anything that isn’t quite right. And remember, once a year you should visit your vet for an annual checkup. The earlier you notice anything wrong with your beagle the sooner you can get it treated.
If you follow these beagle health tips and get regular vet checkups you will have a very happy and very healthy pet!